Tuesday, November 18, 2014

November, or that month when I forget my name

It is ironic, the caffeine that kicks in four hours too late after class, one hour too close to bedtime. It is unusual to feel this awake. At this point in the semester, I have occasionally forgotten my name, often the date, and continuously the reason why I am doing this. To feel awake is an unexpected gift, I am uncertain what to do with it.

The tundra lives and flourishes. Temperatures are in ghastly lows and breaking winter records of all times. Meanwhile, we swathe ourselves in coats and caps and leg warmers and gloves and scarves, till motion is almost impossible, and somehow we trudge on. Waiting at the bus stop is an exercise in patience. The snow is beautiful, especially by the street lights. There is something about the orange overhead glow that makes the streets look like they belong to a different era. Of course, there is something about slipping on ice that takes away the beauty from it.



My winter work and travel plans have undergone so many changes by now, that I give up. I give up on asking for the certainty of travel, for the decency to travel my winter, I give up. I am choosing my battles here. Thanksgiving is around the corner, and an exciting little trip as well. We talk about fertility and marriage and educational homogamy in class and it is all very exciting. I will be running a focus group soon and remind myself that snacks and beverages vs. smacks and beverages could be exciting for people in different ways. I promise to go to a party if my bones don't creak, but we all know that is a lie. They always creak.

I have started to use the time when others are talking and my presence is necessary but not my participation, to let my brain wander and think about things. I have 3 sheets of to-do lists as a result of this today, and on second thoughts, perhaps paying attention is a good idea. I hope your November is equally entertaining and full of soup, Nutella and laughter.


No comments: