Friday, February 13, 2015

Chicago

This was the week of a whirlwind trip to Chicago, a city where I have never been and got to spend far too little time. I had gone for a group interview for something I have applied for and it was a good experience. I was anxious, because I haven't really done a formal group interview, and wasn't sure what to expect. I went in telling myself that I would learn from the experience, as nerve-wracking as it may seem. It was funny, everyone's name tags had color codes on them, reflecting the degree programs they were in (MBA, Education) but my International Development got none. Sadface.



Flying in was mostly straightforward but I was pretty stressed and exhausted. After the interview and before the reception, I met a few other interviewees and we wandered around downtown Chicago for a bit (fun but windy) before huddling in a warm place. Not. McDonald's was indoors but not really warm. Every trip away from Minneapolis makes me realize how much I have grown to like it here and how I enjoy living here. I stayed with some wonderful folks in a suburb and they were incredibly kind, treating me like family, even though I am not - getting me from the airport, giving me snacks, and all those little affections that I now rarely receive. I got back on an early morning flight, fell asleep, lost my glasses (this was the most absurd part of the trip), woke up, rushed to school, listened to the audio recording of a lecture at twice the speed, and (sort of) led a discussion lab. The rest of the day was relatively mellow, though packed with the usual bits and pieces of graduate school life. I work at two kinds of jobs, and one is structured and one not so. You can guess for yourself which one gives me more stress.

This is the weekend where I try and catch up, because suddenly deadlines are approaching and I am not quite prepared. But I also hope to go to yoga. And perhaps take a moment to pause and ask myself why I have so many things in my life and what is it that I can drop to make my life easier. Rush, rush, rush is not a fun pace for all days of the week. I've already heard grumbles in some cases about my calendar and it being a constraint on other people I have to coordinate with. I haven't managed to Skype with anyone for a while, and I feel a little disconnected.

I should be asleep but I honestly think I am awake from the stress of all the things I have to do. As always, I am not sure it is possible. I have to continuously remind myself done is better than perfect (as I am choosing sleep and sanity over attempts at perfection).I put it all on sticky notes on a whiteboard and as I get each task done, I am emptying the board. I am trying to empty the board and my brain. I have started to cook a lot, and I am told it is a sort of coping mechanism. I am trying to make some time this weekend to cook, cook for the week that is coming. Also, if you manage to drink almost 1 liter of juice in one go, maybe you are dehydrated? Who knows. But I do know that all my deficiencies are a thing of the past and that is cause of celebrate. I hope your weekend is full of love and laughter.




No comments: