Thursday, April 9, 2015

On brownness and other things

Sometime in December, when I was back home, I remember drafting a piece, almost hastily, so as to not lose the words and sentences that had been floating in my head for a while. It has now been published.



I was never ‘brown’ until I left my country. I was always wheatish, possibly right from the moment I showed signs of not having inherited my mother’s complexion. I have rarely heard the word ‘brown’ used in India, ‘wheatish’ is our choice. Go and read the advertisements in the matrimonial section of any major newspaper if you don’t believe me.

Read the rest of it at the following link (and ignore/pardon the occasional formatting error, something has been lost or kept in the transition from Word)

http://www.earthenlampjournal.com/content.php?content_id=142

No comments: