Sunday, July 19, 2015

Life in Books

I've been reading. Often. For fun. I am so glad to be back to reading and for adapting to the Kindle. I don't want to accumulate books that I can't carry with me. I've had enough of leaving bits and pieces behind. Plus Kindle versions of most books are also now more affordable, allowing me to read more. The Kindle app across platforms means I am not stuck to owning a Kindle. Here's my list of recommendations, which surprisingly has more non-fiction than fiction. Usually I go the other way.

Seeing Like A Feminist by Nivedita Menon

The title is a dead giveaway. What I enjoyed most about this book is that it is a concise, pithy read about feminism(s) in India, its various spokespeople as well as its schisms. I've often lamented about my lack of knowledge about feminism in India and its appropriation as an all-round bad word. So it was really refreshing to read this book. I am going to leave you with some of my favorite lines.

"By gendering, I mean the ways in which people are produced as proper men and women through rules and regulations of different sorts; some of which we internalize, some of which have to be violently enforced."




"Motherhood is a biological fact, fatherhood is a sociological fiction'

"But simultaneously, to be a feminist is to imagine occupying the marginal, relatively powerless position with reference to every dominant framework that swallows up the space at the centre."

I strongly recommend it, if only to make yourself a little uncomfortable and learn more about lives of trans people, views on prostitution and surrogacy in India. I found it to be a good starting point.

Bad Feminist by Roxanne Gay


Another one about feminism. That should probably give you a sense of where my mind is at these days. I've seen references to this book at a lot of places. I am trying to be more intentional to read about feminism by brown and black authors and that was all the more reason to get this book. I appreciated her pointing out how we put feminism on pedestal and every time there is a little fault, we denounce the whole deal. The book alternates between a nostalgic analysis of the author's love for Sweet Valley High to delving into tropes of likable women played out in media. I found it direct and honest - it takes courage to acknowledge your personal messes, especially in such public spaces. She also references various books and authors including Joan Didion and more and that has helped me add to my to-read list.


Yes Please by Amy Poehler


A while back I had read Tina Fey's book and had enjoyed its breezy, no-nonsense tone. I am a huge Amy Poehler fan - I adore her role in Parks and Recreation. I waited for three months to get this book from the university library (I didn't want it enough to buy it).

I like her honesty and truthfulness. I like the breezy writing. I like her attempt at not speaking on behalf of all women and I enjoyed the way the book was written, even if its glossy pages were a bit much for me. She talks about her family life, growing up, early days in comedy and more. She talks about the mistake she made by not apologizing and how many years it took her to own up to it. Again, courage. I enjoyed it for what it was: a lighthearted take on life.

All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews

I think Miriam Toews chooses to mainly write about death and dark themes. I looked up another of her books and that too dealt with death. I would strongly, strongly recommend All My Puny Sorrows. It will probably make you uncomfortable with how openly it deals with Elfrieda's wish to die, to end her pain. How often she attempts to die. How her family deals with her suicide attempts, her genius and the messiness of their own lives, complicated even more by an earlier suicide in the family. I found the book to be darkly captivating as well as engaging. I read it in spurts because it was hard at times to read. But it dealt with the themes of suicide and death and love and families so well.Side note: I learned Toews is pronounced as Tey-ves through the Dinner Party podcast. She was reading an excerpt from the book as I was attempting to run and failing miserably.




No comments: