Saturday, March 30, 2019

ThredUp: My Experience

I think I first heard about ThredUp through the Call Your Girlfriend podcast. Ever since I can remember, beautiful clothes have fascinated me. Do you remember paper cutout dolls? Cutting out dresses for them and coloring them was one of the my favorite things to do as a tween. For a few years in my life I thought I was going to be a fashion designer; I drew dresses and dresses anywhere I could. But eventually I chose Economics and I am glad for that -- I don't think I would have made it in the fashion industry; numerous as they were, my sketches weren't particularly precise.


I have spent a lot of my money on clothes, for a while I thought clothes could compensate for the appearance I did not always like but I no longer believe that to be true. I now enjoy clothes for what they are for me; how they make me feel and move. But as I grow older, I also am moving away for buying pieces simply because they are on sale or hanging on to things in the hopes of fitting into them or liking them again. I've changed, the thirties have not been kind to my metabolism and I absolutely do not enjoy feeling stratjacketed during the day. Fast fashion doesn't help because things are cheap and attractive but only for a short period of time.


All that to say, when the latest urge to upgrade my wardrobe hit me, I decided to try ThredUp. I'd already been sending them some stuff to sell and had a little bit of credit. The 30% discount for a first time shopper was sweet too. See below for pictures of clothes and jewelry pieces I got and what I thought about them:


Danny and Nicole dress




This was my favorite piece in the whole order. It fit well, it's comfortable and not snug and the fabric is thick. It is pilling a little but I that's not unexpected, this is online thrift shopping.


The black and gold earring arrived broken. The black plastic stone popped out as soon as I opened the box it came in. Jewelry is a final sale, so I knew the risk I was taking but still, I'm bummed not just because of this but also....




the piece with the pinkish stone, the backs of which are almost impossible to get off the earring (the backs on the first one are awful too). Once I wore one, I knew I was never going to wear these again so perhaps they are going back to ThredUp in a future clean out kit.


This dress is beautiful and satiny and everything; unfortunately I can barely close the zipper and breathing is hard. On the plus side nothing will ever fall out most likely. But I'm still returning it.


I didn't like the material of this dress at all. I was looking for something for work and figured that even though this would add to my sea of black, the collar would make it stand out. But nope.




This was for summers and it is tight and hugging me in all the wrong places so back it goes.


So Tahari stuff is usually quality clothing and this dress is no exception. But I didn't like the pattern once I saw it in person and the collar falls weirdly on my neck, like some sort of alien accessory.



Well with this necklace, I got what I deserved. I might be going to an Indian wedding later this year and this should definitely fit in with an outfit.




So overall, my first experience with ThredUp was meh. I had already planned for the 8.99 return label cost but I did not expect to be so disappointed by the jewelry.


Would I order from them again? Probably one more time only, if that's as meh as the first time then I think I am better off thrifting at local stores or waiting for sales (or just not buying clothes but we will see).

No comments: