Friday, April 19, 2019

Not Lucky but Favored

Two weekends ago, I had what I can only call a lucky weekend. In a span of 24 hours, I dropped my cellphone in an Uber and honestly I had no idea what to do. I kept trying to use the Uber platform to report a lost item but as has been my experience, it was frustrating and pointless. I kept going outside in the hope that perhaps the phone had fallen somewhere and I would spot it. While that did not happen, what did happen is that the Uber driver who came back with my phone, simply because of the goodness of his heart. Of course I gave him money (the largest bill I had) to thank him; nobody should be expected to perform this for free. I know all the possible outcomes and the fact that this one happened was very, very sobering and heartening.

The next day I was throwing out some trash (for context, there are eight giant dumpsters outside the building). The first few were full and I went to the ones at the end. On my way back, I looked left and saw an overturned earring that reminded me of one of my favorite earrings. I picked it up and it was exactly like my earring. I brought it back with me and of course, it was mine. How I managed to throw it out is not something I know but what I do know is that it was incredibly lucky. I was telling one of my closest friends about this and she said, you are not lucky, you are favored. It was such a lovely sentiment, it will likely stay with me all my life.

No comments: