Saturday, June 14, 2014

Afternoon walks


The afternoon walk around the citadel is different. I head there after a long Saturday at work. It is alive in a different way. There are people but only serious folks. Serious fishermen intently watching the water, waiting for a catch. A few scattered young people, chatting lazily. The sun is glorious, especially after the endless Minnesota winter and cold. Yet the breeze makes my walk bearable. I start retracing my steps and then change my mind about heading home. I go to a big cafe close by where I have seen karaoke performances in the evenings.

The cafe is large and inviting, with no walls and lovely green furniture. Ca phe sua da doesn't lose its charm but the same cafes can. I enjoy trying new cafes, there are so many where we live. I am one of two customers. It is a lazy evening and the waiters are scrubbing tables, hosing the floor, preparing for the lively evening ahead. The boy serving me starts by speaking to me in Vietnamese and then switches to English as I say kong viet (which I want to believe translates into I don't speak Vietnamese but who knows!). The coffee is great and I enjoy the mild breeze. The music starts and I remember how lucky I am to be here in this moment.








No comments: