Monday, June 30, 2014

Mondays



Our workplace has moved down a couple of blocks, because the last one is under construction. This has a large courtyard and the rooms are more 'open-air' and less (no) air-conditioning, which lends for a good look in the 40 degrees heat. The shine on my face has never been brighter, the number of times I spray myself with whatever body spray/perfume/hand sanitiser is close never higher. The bathroom is a little far away (directly behind the building at the opposite end and a bit of a fun walk by a drain). One of these days I am going to post about bathrooms and sanitation hassles. I used it yesterday and promptly got locked in (the knob is broken and rusted). I banged and banged on the door but it is so far away that no one could feasibly hear me. I figured people would realize I am missing in a while but it started to get claustrophobic and I didn't want to be stuck in it. I could have broken the door because it was so flimsy but how would that look? Everyone would know me as the girl who broke a bathroom door. Did I want to be that person? On the first day of work at what are rooms sub-leased from another company? I wasn't sure. Luckily I could claw my hand out from the lower half of the door, reach the knob and get out. But now I have a new thing to worry about, thank you new office building.

But my bathroom adventures for the day continued. As I was showering, I saw the following beauty two feet away on the wall.

I am proud to say I finished showering and walked out and came back to take a picture to show the front desk staff. This was an emergency, there was no time for my usual miming tactics. Meagan may have scoffed at me but perhaps Meagan and I won't be friends now (are you reading this Meagan). Anyhow, the front desk lady very kindly came, by which time it had started to return home through the giant opening in the wall. She then put some Raid on it and sealed the opening with a regular tape. She smiled a lot and I think she may have been bemused by me. I would have been amused too. I am usually good at slaying my bugs and spiders and roaches (living in a basement apartment in Minnesota which was a bug-fest when 'Spring', cough cough, came b) but this was one fat-legged monster. I suppose I should be better at doing this myself but it truly caught me by surprise. How was your Monday?

No comments: