Sunday, January 10, 2016

2016


2015 is over. Done and dusted. Who would have thought? It doesn't really feel like a new year although the thought of being almost 30 is a little alarming. December was quite a month and that's why the lack of posts. Lots of ups and downs. I had quite a bizarre list of highlights from 2015 but then gave up on it. It included a bizarre conversation with a Lyft driver who called me a 'mature and passionate woman' and said 'religion has never caused any harm' (plus insisted I sit up front and patted my knee). He was serious, I was intent on making it home. I've never had such a bizarre experience with Uber and having used a few more Lyfts around town, some of it is Lyft (which I am going to try and not use at all anymore).


Professionally, there is slow but steady progress, exciting if challenging things on the horizon. I am grateful for the fact that I like to go to work, that I learn something everyday. Personally, some setbacks, some heartbreak, some surprises and disappointments but also a lot of self-understanding. Not that I wanted to, but I was compelled to dive deep to figure out what was going on. There has been a lot of good stuff as well, only in less exciting ways. I started running and have kept up with it (somewhat). I found another podcast that keeps me entertained and laughing (if you are interested it is Another Round). It is -10 today and so I don't think I'm getting out for a run. This is the lowest the temperatures have dipped this entire winter. This was the first year of my life I sent out holiday cards. I had the dogs over winter break when flatmate was away and they ensured I took walks even when I didn't want to. I had a moment where I wanted to get my hair chopped into a bob but I resisted it - we'll see how long that lasts.

I've been doing puzzles as a way to calm my brains (and just planned a puzzle swap with a friend from grad school, which makes me happy). Cooking went out the window for a while but today I made avocado sauce, butter chicken and sliced my fingers thrice. Temperatures have dipped suddenly (sadly for the week the sibling will be here, who is not a fan of winters or dogs). I am happy for the even keel now, I've been burned by the downs of a lot of ups and I would like to not just be older, but also wiser. I hope your 2016 started well.

No comments: