Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Rinse and Repeat, Rinse and Repeat

'At every moment of our lives, we all have one foot in a fairy tale and the other in the abyss’
P Coelho

(not a fan of the author, but this line stands out for me)

I have learned that if I experience a specific feeling, a certain emotion, enough number of times (there is a magic number here but I have forgotten to keep count), that I start seeing a pattern, an ebb and flow.


It does make it just a little bit easier and a little bit more bearable. Some of it comes from the known devil versus the unknown devil. Knowing that a slow and powerful wave of panic waits for me around the corner is somehow helpful. I am learning that there are seasons of abundance (of everything: work, laughter, love, friends, travel, things) and seasons of fallow (it is quiet, the phone never rings, all the evenings belong to me, plans never make it into words, forget reality, doubts that corrode) – I am still no good at calm though. I used to be a great resister: I would try and fight my way through anything and everything. I have learned to stop and be as still as I can possibly be, to be aware of what is happening. I am learning to not try and deal with and fix and solve everything in that moment. I have less of a fight in me and for me that is not a bad thing.


This has been a strange first quarter: so full and so full of questions. I am great at pushing, pushing and pushing some more. I was missing the day they taught the lesson that you can only move your own world, that Herculean attempts can still fail. This will be a long week and I will test my limits of affection and patience with myself. In some ways, until I can get through to myself, perhaps nothing and no one else can. This is why conversations seem unlikely this week – I’ll meet the world on the surface because this is not for sharing. I am trying (and failing, let’s be honest) to be present, to just be here, here and now, here and now, my favorite words. I know myself so well and yet I know myself so little. I’m sure I will arrive into some version of personhood where all of these things exist in some sort of a truce. I also know that it is unlikely to be this week or month. 

No comments: