Monday, January 9, 2017

Poems for my life

'Someone had blundered.
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die.
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.'

This is one of the first lines of poetry that I remember. I am pretty sure I was in the 7th grade when I read this in a book of poems that had made its way to me randomly (the poem is Charge of the Light Brigade by Tennyson if you are curious). Poems speak to me, just like I imagine pictures may speak to you or songs make your heart skip a beat.  Every once in a while a random line of poetry will pop into my head, almost like an excerpt from a life. Except this is my life. Over the years I have come across poems for all sorts of occasions and feelings and people and lives. I share them online, sometimes I email them to friends, occasionally I imprint them on myself. In this post, I am going to put them all together in a list to which I can keep adding. I hope it brings you some happiness.


Adrienne Rich

I know you are reading this poem which is not in your language
guessing at some words while others keep you reading
and I want to know which words they are.
I know you are reading this poem listening for something, torn
between bitterness and hope
turning back once again to the task you cannot refuse.

&

But the great dark birds of history screamed and plunged
into our personal weather


Brown Girl Sings the Blues
You remind me of all these.
The forgotten, pushed away,
Hidden parts of me,
The lekin and the agar in me,
The abey and the oye in me,
The ab to ho gaya in me.


Clementine von Radics
I am not the first person you loved.
You are not the first person I looked at
with a mouthful of forevers. We
have both known loss like the sharp edges
of a knife. We have both lived with lips
more scar tissue than skin.


David Whyte
But what is precious
inside us does not
care to be known
by the mind
in ways that diminish
its presence.


Derek Walcott
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you


e.e. cummings

You have played,
(I think)
And broke the toys you were fondest of,
And are a little tired now;
Tired of things that break, and—
Just tired.
So am I.


Elizabeth Bishop
I lost two cities, lovely ones. And, vaster,
some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
I miss them, but it wasn’t a disaster.


Ghalib

हजारों ख्वाहिशें ऐसी कि हर ख्वाहिश पे दम निकले
बहुत निकले मेरे अरमाँ, लेकिन फिर भी कम निकले
डरे क्यों मेरा कातिल क्या रहेगा उसकी गर्दन पर
वो खून जो चश्म-ऐ-तर से उम्र भर यूं दम-ब-दम निकले



Jack Gilbert

Suddenly this defeat.
This rain.
The blues gone gray


Nayyirah Waheed
“Loving someone who hates
themselves
is a special kind of violence.
A fight inside the bones.
A war within the blood.”


Rainer Maria Rilke

And sometimes, in a shop, the mirrors
were still dizzy with your presence and, startled, gave back
my too-sudden image.


Rumi

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.


Sarah Manguso

I am not asking to suffer less.
I hope to be nearly crucified.
To live because I don’t want to.


Tony Hoagland

Enjoy it while you can, they said of Happiness
Think first, they said of Talk
Get over it, they said
at the School of Broken Hearts
but I couldn’t and I didn’t and I don’t
believe in the clean break;
I believe in the compound fracture
served with a sauce of dirty regret

Wendy Cope

But he has learned to argue well.
He calls her arguments unsound
And often asks her not to yell.
She cannot win. He stands his ground.


Yrsa Daley Ward

“No’ might make them angry but it will make you free.”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for such very great article. This is the best sites for proving such kinds of good information.Examhelpline.in