Monday, March 23, 2020

Weird Times

I mean, I continue to make occasional jokes but they feel more subdued for now. This isn't ending anytime soon, and the global governmental incompetence, while hardly surprising is rather sobering. I feel like there is an analogy in this piece. The intensity of work varies, which I expect. Everyone's calibrating to this new reality. It's dissonant, how a pandemic is raging outside her homes while inside maintains a steady illusion of normalcy. To be honest, I've drastically reduced my consumption of COVID news. Every article is an escalation, another (necessary and inevitable) boundary being drawn. I may not know the specifics of which borders are shut down, but I know most of them are. I do not want to see videos of people who believe their faith will protect them from the virus. 

The beginnings of stir crazy are here, and it makes sense. I haven't worked from home in five years, and while my working muscle hasn't deteriorated, structuring my day outside of it to use energy has (if it was ever present). I'm not the only one. 

It does feel a little bit like there isn't much to say. What can one say, there is a pandemic raging out there, and we are not prepared for it. It's pretty leveling, no country, rich or poor, is spared. Nor are people. Some of how I feel is pretty fatalistic and I think that is culturally ingrained and resurfaces at a time like this  - it doesn't mean I don't follow all the things I must. My writing muscle has definitely withered, I haven't written formally or informally for so long. I've read some thought-provoking pieces about how to stay tethered and to an extent, not waste these days (in ways you don't want, if your wasting is intentional and serves you, go for it).


I have been enjoying all the memes out there about people on Day 1 planning to do yoga and write their first novel, and by Day 4 it's a spoon straight into the Nutella jar. I have more in common with Day 4 than Day 1. It's important to remember it's a marathon, not a sprint. It's nice to see a vast trove of resources become available for free out there. I have never been more grateful for the e-library at Chicago Public Library, or access to YouTube.

We all have those people in our lives who are behaving as if it's business as usual. I get the impulse, one wants to control what one can in these times. But at the same time, their behavior feels a little ostrich in the sand (which apparently is a myth, but you get my point..). It really isn't business as usual, and it's not unwise to ask yourself, does this thing really matter in the context of the world as we know it now. And if it doesn't, perhaps it is okay to put it aside. For now. 


No comments: