Sunday, April 5, 2020

May you live in interesting times...

Some generous soul left laundry
 quarters at all the machines
is fabled to be a curse and one can see how. Times right now are certainly...interesting, although I think that's a poor choice of adjective, given that calamitous and destructive are more applicable to the majority of the world. It's an odd helplessness, when inaction is supposed to help. I've reduced my consumption of news even more; what do I do with the endlessly rising numbers? Instead I finish the entire season 4 of Kim's Convenience in 2 nights, and I recommend it highly to you. But of course you won't watch it -- we all have these shows friends and colleagues recommend to us as must-watch. We file them in some neglected corner, sticking to what we know and enjoy. Occasionally our preference and the recommendation overlap, and it's a happy Venn diagram for a while.



Results of my accident stockpiling
On Friday I video-chatted with dear friends from grad school. I don't think anyone has vocabulary for what is going on, and so we also use humor to cope. Of course Saturday morning I woke up at the early hour of 7:30 am (it's all subjective) and could not fall asleep again. During the day I did face masks, hair masks, nail masks. I took the trash out, did laundry, cooked chicken, organized the spice racks, finished a (lighthearted) book, ironed clothes and more. All of it felt futile and the name for the feeling fell into place then: it's futility coupled with lack of an adequate purpose. As someone in the best possible situation currently, the inaction feels inadequate and irresponsible. It isn't as far as social distancing and staying at home is concerned. My grocery trips, while a piece in staying sane during this, will be reduced. What is a helpful distraction for me is likely certain illness for someone else, and wildly impossible. I am also deeply influenced by the Lori memes and am here for them! You gotta love the folder! Also the city and state level leadership is very heartening to watch, especially in a time where folks are doubling down to demonstrate federal incompetence.


Lori Lightfoot Memes Are the Laugh We All Needed Right Now – NBC ...
This lady is not playing.

The thing I am trying to avoid is a direct commute from my bed to work. I need to have a morning ritual, some space between sleep and work, to prevent the days from becoming a giant blur. We are sheltered-in-place till the end of April.

Returned to this on Sunday
It's a Sunday today, and while I'll likely start some work today evening, I am reminding myself to not send any emails today. Home and work boundaries are fairly blurred right now, and I am trying to not be that person. Funny things from last week include a call where someone's cat was certainly clawing at them, while they were presenting. I am here for all the funny things (but keep your damn clothes on!). While writing this feels trivial and trite right now, I am sure a few months down the line, I'll appreciate this journal.

Stay indoors, and stay well!

No comments: