Friday, April 24, 2020

The Right Fit


It's always a matter of luck and pleasure when you find that absolute right fit. It can be pretty much anything -- the headband that doesn't grip your hair too tightly or slide off; the coffee mug you can hold without effort; the shoes that you forget you are wearing.


planking cartoonI finally found that perfect fit with a fitness app. Like most of us, I've been trying over the years to find something that suits me. Too structured and I am out. Too loose and I don't adhere to it. I needed the just right bed, like Goldilocks, and I found it -- FitOn. The workouts are on-demand and they have classes. It's by level, impact, intensity and several other combinations. You can schedule your workouts. Their lengths suit me -- no more than 30 minutes usually. The fact that we are working remotely means that I have time to do this before and after work hours, and sometimes even during the occasional lunch break. 

Getting into a routine is hard, and the first few days I was so tired, I was hard-pressed to imagine how I would make this work if I also had my usual 2 hour commute. The only annoying thing is the invite your friend pop up, which shows up non-fucking-stop - before you start a workout, when you schedule a workout, after the workout, all the damn time. No friend of mine is using this app (and believe me I have tried). Stop it already. I even went in for a paid subscription.

I haven't seen my weight shift a pound but I am getting stronger. I sleep better and I feel more awake when I am awake. The routines become easier. I can hold a plank longer. I can actually do a full push up. All of these are great things in general, but especially in the middle of damned pandemic when routines are off and it's so easy to start the wine at 6 pm. After all, what's the difference when the day has ended. The stay-at-home order has been extended till the end of May (rightfully so) but that means there is even less activity in our collective futures.

No comments: