Sunday, August 10, 2014

The many everyday things of Hue

(Written a while back when in Hue, and now is as good a time to share it as any other)

It is easier to breathe here. It is hot, burning, lava-like and yet every once in a while there is a respite. Like the evenings. The occasional rainy days. The city is full of history, the streets full of bustle. Everyday brings something familiar and something new. I have fallen into a pattern, one that I will always associate with a happy summer. I know words and pictures will not do much justice to the experience. But I still try a combination of my favorite things: lists, words and pictures. 

The people selling lottery tickets, usually old. I was told it is considered unlucky to win as it splits families up over money.

A lottery ticket I bought.

The coffee shop observers, chairs facing the streets. The groups of people sitting and chatting by the streets.

The unexpected scooter at every corner and street that I always thought would run me over.

The many, many kindnesses whether it is people calling cabs for us or teaching us to how say words in Vietnamese.

The touristy feeling of the tourist district at Pham Ngu Lao (and yet it was important, a sort of home and refuge all rolled together).

Baubles too expensive to bring home

The discovering and rediscovering of favorite coffee shops.

The everyday coffees

The sleepy afternoons, the siestas I refused to believe in before giving into them wholeheartedly.

The glares when I interrupted people's naps or TV-watching or mealtimes.

The madness of a meal at Lotteria (a fast-food restaurant like McDonald's and KFC, full of people; the escapism of a meal at La Carambole (a French-Vietnamese restaurant at the tourist district, it felt calmer compared to other places due to its indoor seating)

The temptation of many, many beautifully tailored dresses (I finally did not give into this).

The easy to get over phone Mai Linh taxis (unless you spoke no Vietnamese).

The puppy that barked maniacally all night outside the window.

The construction sounds and sights that become a part of our workplace a few weeks after our starting there (and soon we moved to a new office farther away, which felt like an oven and solar cooker together)

Do you see the many colored cylinders?

Parking and pavement

The many, many everyday things of Hue that made it the place it was for me. I wonder if I will ever go there again (even as I remind myself, a bit too often these days, that you can return but it is hardly ever to the same place).

No comments: