Friday, September 5, 2014

End of week 1

Grad school life is in full swing and it is a combination of classes and speed reading, work and multiple jobs, rushed grocery trips, setting up house, dealing with limited Internet access, believing that Fall = 14 degrees Celsius, and so much more. I am very excited about this semester especially because of two classes that I am taking: Population Methods and Qualitative Research. Both (especially the latter) seem intense and like they will require a lot of work but also like I will learn a lot, something I didn't feel about all my classes last semester. I am also terrified that I am juggling a lot and something will drop, but that is always there. I am also in the process of combining suggestions and thoughts on what people wish they had known when they started grad school - I think it will be a useful resource.

Here are my first takes at the start of this semester:

  • Not being new definitely makes things feel easier. Everything, moving, starting school and classes, getting around, felt less challenging and for that I am glad.
  • I always feel like a fraud/impostor on the first day of class. I am not saying I am the only one this happens to, but I try and catch myself when it starts.
  • Sometimes being or even just feeling different makes me feel like I have to perform or (over)compensate a certain way and that can be tiring, not to mention simply not true to myself.
  • I think being just a little bit uncomfortable is good for us - I am grateful for people who will say the things we don't really want to hear.
I have lots more floating in my head, fractured, sedimented, jagged thoughts from conversations and experiences from across the world. I discuss things with people I trust (not necessarily people who share my opinion though) and I will always be glad for the fact that we often conclude that we hope at the end, all of us try to be better human beings. 

I hope you are having a interesting week as well.



No comments: