Thursday, January 29, 2015

Finding Balance


This is definitely the semester where I am trying to find balance. I try and remember that it is the experience, and not only the end. Also, what good would a grad school degree be if I couldn't enjoy at least parts of it. I'm trying a combination of factors, tweaking and adjusting. The first week is never very indicative of what the rest of the semester will be like. Assignments aren't due yet nor have group projects started. This week (and weekend) have gotten away from me as there are two student-group related tasks on a Friday night and Sunday afternoon. But both are things I am involved with out of will and I am glad to do them (they help provide services for the graduate student body). I do still want to find balance (or equilibrium as the economists would say :)). 
















I don't expect to find it in the form of identical days, or of never having anything last-minute or deadlines. But I am trying to go for as many yoga and pilates classes I can. I've completely shut down coffee (it doesn't mean I don't get my caffeine in the form of tea, it is just less intense and seems to be easier to get out of my system). I try and go to bed at the same time and wake up at the same time, early enough to give me some head start on the day. I try and switch off and tuck away all screens at least half an hour before bed. I am reading more and I am reading a lot for fun. I am eating regularly, cooking and being healthy. It could be something as simple as an apple in the morning, I am not really a complicated, strangely colored smoothie sort of person (yet).

It is making a difference. I feel more energetic, less tired. I have more will to do things. It doesn't seem unmanageable (even if the sum of it can seem so sometimes). I am able to pull myself more from irritation and sadness (I know it even if others around may not agree 100% :)). I feel like I am getting better work done (although time will tell).

Here's hoping that this is my year of finding balance.

No comments: