Thursday, January 15, 2015

Ahmedabad

View from Gandhi Ashram
My time in Ahmedabad has been far more intense and interesting than I imagined. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, especially considering I arrived at the start of an event that completely takes over the city with its sheer magnitude, in a week with important local and national holidays, and no meetings set up in advance. That being said, it has still been productive. Work-wise I have been able to learn new things, chat with some interesting people and get started on thinking in a particular direction.





Personally, it has been a little hard health-wise. I thought I had left the joy of motion-sickness in my childhood, but it is back. That makes travel and fieldwork hard. Combined with an unplanned, erratic schedule leading to a lack of meals and regular access to toilets, and I've felt less in control of my health on this trip more than I would have liked to. People around me have been accommodating but I wish I had not needed to ask.

I am very glad to have been here for the kite flying festival. Last evening the sky was a rainbow of kites. We were in a cab, and saw people clustered on the terraces of their house, flying kites. I did not know that at night, people light and release lanterns in the skies. It was magical: for that itself, this entire trip was worth it. Kite flying can have dangerous consequences as well. Some of the scooters and motorcycles have an an oval shape wire at front, apparently to deflect the path of kite strings, which have cut through people's faces and necks. One of the cab drivers told us that it was the strings from China (there was also discussion about how everything is made in China usually, but the Make in India campaign could change that. The people who I have spoken with, they are hopeful and excited).

As a city, Ahmedabad seems to work well. Clean and functional roads, open and safe spaces. We managed a quick trip to the Gandhi Ashram and the riverfront. We were invited for dinner to the Rajpath Club and I have discovered a new soup, that I absolutely love: the tom yum soup. It is spicy, tangy and sour, and all in all, a combination of some of my favorite tastes.

I leave you with some pictures (I have many more but the Internet connection at this hotel is disappointing). Soon it is time for my final semester in grad school to start and I am excited and terrified what it will be like.

A lantern-lit sky
At Agashiye urban heritage hotel

Gandhi ashram

Kite stalls



No comments: