Sunday, June 28, 2015

Checking out Chicgao

Views from the Ferris Wheel at the Navy Pier
It has been roughly three weeks since I moved, two since I move to the new house and one and a half since starting work. I have had neither the time nor the energy to explore much, preferring to use my evenings to=recharge and recover from all the moving. I've learned over the years that moving is draining, not just physically but emotionally as well. There is a toll to be paid, whether I acknowledge it or not. Usually I don't pay heed to the sadness. But this time I did. I acknowledged that it would take me some time to get used to Chicago because I was not ready to leave Minneapolis and I had to. I think that did me a world of good.



I have been wanting to watch a movie for a while. I watched Queen on Netflix and absolutely loved the movie for so many reasons - Kangana Ranaut's acting, the tropes around Delhi, the end, the language, the spunk, the depiction of acquaintances in foreign lands and more. I could go on and on. I strongly recommend it. Also she really is my favorite actress, especially since she also declined a fairness cream endorsement contract.

I heard really good things about the latest from the Disney/Pixar stable - Inside Out and went to watch it a theater downtown. I chose the non 3D version because I am not a huge fan and it usually gives me a headache. I thought it was a good animated film but not especially great and definitely not the best ever. Perhaps it was too hyped up for me, perhaps I am jaded, who knows. The theater was huge, fancy and very expensive - I am definitely taking my own food the next time.

It was a sunny day and I decided to take advantage of that. Summer here does not guarantee you that and I am very aware of trying to make the most of the sunshine. I walked to the riverfront area and saw the sightseeing boats go across. I made my way to the Navy Pier on a lively pedestrian path with a one man Jamaican show along the way and some enthu cutlet beginner kayaykers doing lessons onshore.

I wanted to do the boat architecture tour but the time I wanted was sold out and so I consoled myself with a walk by the pier, a ride on the Ferris wheel and a slice of deep dish pizza. The Ferris wheel moved so slowly I never realized that we had reached the top and begun our descent. The pizza was sinfully expensive and not really that tasty. I've realized I like pizzas with toppings, especially vegetables. I then took a bus, a train and another bus back home. The first bus had a group of rowdy youngsters, who would say offensive things like "me chinese, me chinese" in a fake accent and then insolently punctuate the sentence with sir. They kept screaming at the bus driver to let them off in the middle of traffic when the bus got crowded and it was just all very disrespectful and crowded and whatnot. By itself it is not much, but it came after a small incident in the morning - I got off my bus and was walking to the train station, when a man jumped in front of me in a parody dance move in an obvious attempt to startle me. I was extremely startled but did not scream and just kept walking, although there was part of me that just wanted to push myself in his face and ask, so what was that for? That would have been a bad move. It definitely made my heart beat faster and took me a few minutes to let go off.

I walked a lot today and I don't feel particularly tired. It helps that I came home and made a cup of sweet, milky tea, which revived me well. I have things to do, but mostly took a break today. I can't decide if that is a good thing or not - like am I risking my future by relaxing now or will it be okay? When I can't find immediate things to worry about, this is the stuff that goes on in my brain. I also started watching Bones on Netflix and was very amused by the background score of Collide by Howie Day as Bones gazes soulfully at a skull. I remember crowding on the bed, watching it with my family. I definitely miss that. I was alone today and that is something I have been skilled at since a very young age. I traveled alone to a bunch of places because that was the only way I was going to see the world. It was exciting and wearying. In the last two years, I definitely did not travel alone and it was mainly because I was not having fun with it anymore. I can feel it slowly coming back - I wasn't bored or sad today. It was nice being able to be in the moment and enjoy it. Here's to more exploring in Chicago.




Murals in a tunnel

Views from the path to Navy Pier

Views from the Ferris wheel






No comments: