Monday, March 14, 2016

After A Long Pause

This has been one of my longer pauses. The days and weeks have been full.


Full of travel and laughter, full of worry and fear (illness in the family). I returned from a trip last evening and was reminded that I can never assume peace on public transit. This man insisted on talking to me, asking questions, saying the most absurd things, forcing this number on me and I am a mixture of rage and sadness and suchlike. Stuff like this is what makes public space so gendered, it makes it so hard to truly relax. I am also truly done with anyone who might ask me to "get over it". I am too old for other people to tell me how I should feel and as I grow older, there are certain things I don't have patience for. It did open up the box of memories of all the Chicago misogynistic things - bitch smile, why can't you tell me your name, you're too pretty to not be married and more.

I did quip with a friend that I'll probably wear a fancy ring so I "look married" and adopt a public transit persona that involves a "conservative husband, three children and vaginal childbirth". I make light of it but these things are exhausting. The sum of these is absolutely exhausting, it feels like sinking. I do need to learn how to drive and I am going to make that happen once things are a little more sorted.

I do have some lovely interactions in the city as well and I cherish those. Another day, I will write about those. On another note, UberX at the airport is an absolute scam - it was 24 minutes waiting which became no available ubers in 30 seconds. I had my first negative experience with Southwest yesterday, and good businesspeople of SW, you have lost a loyal customer. It was expensive to book a last minute flight on another airline and I am fairly broke right now. I had little-to-no caffeine this weekend and that is the only possible explanation for how relatively mellow I was. I think I was going through some serious withdrawal symptoms.

I was so zoned out (de-caffeinated?) yesterday that in the flight I took out my ipod, hit play on Drops of Jupiters, all without plugging in the earphones. The dude (and this was a dude-looking dude) burst out laughing and I was like, yeah, that happens to me sometimes.

I don't really have words for the sadness around the illness. It is complicated and I am conflicted and this is messy and adulthood. This is not about me, so I try and keep my messy emotions to myself as much as I can, but it still spills out.

There is a lot of happiness and laughter as well, I like how my days are punctuated by affection (in some ways they always have been, and now they are ever more so). I'm finding that adulthood involves a focus on the essential, in a way that a lot of the peripheral stuff falls by the wayside. I don't think of it as a good or bad thing, it is what it is. I've (re)found a lot of heartwarming poetry this month and I find myself silently saying the lines occasionally. There is one that is so beautiful, it is heartbreaking and so lovely, I keep getting lost in it almost everyday.

I'm reading a lot of comic strip based books - right now it is Nancy. I almost don't have enough focus for a novel and while that is sad in one way, it opens the doors on other kinds of words.

Alright, that is a long enough ramble. Till another day.





1 comment:

Usha Bhatnagar said...

Can understand & empathize with all that u r going thru. God bless u.