Thursday, July 31, 2014

Dong Ba market

All the tourist reviews promise you that Dong Ba market will be overwhelming. That it is 'too touristy'. That you should miss it. I disagree. For me the Dong Ba market was a riot of color and things. I am glad I went and did not miss it as it originally looked like it would happen. Visiting during siesta time made it very clam and manageable. I think this may be the Indian in me but it actually felt calmer compared to the markets I frequent in Delhi (I will give some of that to the timing of the visit). It is a a giant beast of a market with everything from weasel poop coffee to paintings to clothes to shoes to detergent to dried fish to fresh meat to juice. The list is endless. Of course you have to bargain. I will say I have bargained a lot in Vietnam (all very politely and calmly) and am happy that I haven't lost that skill. I got some souvenirs and returned from the trip rather pleased with myself (and grateful to the friend who took me and was amazing). I have been on several motos in the past few weeks and I have to say it is exhilarating and tempered by the fact that traffic in Hue is busy but not insane. Maybe these pictures will give you a glimpse of the Dong Ba market I saw!

:-) 
A feast for the eyes and stomach
The famous hats
Pottery in various stages
Shoes, shoes and more shoes
Bookmarks and fans and paintings
At one of the corners
Lovely carvings for walls
Bric-a-brac
Bikes and paintings that I could afford
More wall hangings

No comments: