Friday, August 14, 2015

Things

Public art seen downtown
Suddenly there is lots going on and I don't have any words anymore. I have to pause here and update. As I was typing, my pizza delivery arrived. It has been A DAY and I needed a pizza and a chocolate shake. I walked out only to see crime scene tape on our building, police officers and cars. It was 'an active crime scene' - someone got shot and something happened. Everyone, including the pizza delivery guy and my flatmate, was so casual. I'm in no danger, its just a first. Being in Chicago is interesting and a far more realistic slice of life in urban America than Minneapolis. Earlier in the evening, from the bus stop I could see firemen and police arrive and check on a seemingly unconscious man and ultimately load him into an ambulance. At this point, I've seen gambling on the L-train, cigarettes being sold and a bunch of other stuff. I no longer see them as random things. They are visible manifestation of urban poverty, often racially concentrated. These are results of a structural and violent system.



It doesn't mean that crimes don't take place, people aren't responsible for their actions or innocent people don't get hurt. I've had something good and unexpected thrown at me and it means a lot of planning and reorienting. The days have been packed. There was a large picnic yesterday organized for kids (part of a Safe Haven initiative) and I was helping hand out juices. It reminded me a lot of the volunteering events we managed. Six hours in the sun and I was knackered. I got in a train going in the wrong direction but saw the shell game gambling for a lot of money, so I'll call it a win.

Today was the last formal session for our fellowship. We did improve, "gardening" - more like shoveling and flattening wood chips as well final presentations. I didn't get to do mine because some folks in our group went over time which I definitely thought was inconsiderate and for a few minutes I was a hot mess because I felt invisible again. Anyhow, we then went on a trolley ride around time and I really enjoyed that. My favorite was the stop by Shedd Aquarium. I opted out of the last bit involving drinks on a rooftop, as lovely as it sounded. I was a sweaty, hungry mess and drinking really wasn't going to help as much as a shower would. It did help a lot. As did this amazing chocolate shake. I'm starting to prefer chocolate shakes over wine because wine headaches and hangovers and so many other adult pains. That's all for now. Enjoy your weekend.


View from Shedd Aquarium

I see these signs all across Chicago

No comments: