Sunday, May 25, 2014

Exploring Hue!

Lunch time
Megan, our fourth teammate arrived today and with that our team is complete. We spent most of the day exploring. We started by looking for a vegetarian (chay) restaurant during siesta time for lunch and ordering from whatever was available. I had friend noodles with lots of vegetables on top and it was nice. I have no clue what the text on the poster on the side means but I want to know (the 'cholesterol' made me curious). It was a small, family-run place (at least that is what it seemed like. Keep in mind my vocabulary of the local language is still at one word. Or perhaps two.)







We then wandered out to the king's citadel area and it was hot but not that hot. There was a cool breeze going on. We walked around it, crossed street food sellers, small boutique and tailor shops (there are some lovely clothes on display), kids and women sitting in the shade, dogs wandering around. We took a break at this really nice coffee shop, which had a waterfall decor going in one of the walls. One iced latte and several songs from the nineties later, we head back to the hotel. We ate some interesting fruit on the way - mango sheen? I don't remember but it was nice and reminded me of a litchi. I met with two girls, who are friends of a student I know at the U of M and they were great and gave me lots of helpful tips and suggestions about where to get a phone, things to do, places to visit etc.

Walking around the citadel area

Lotus in the water/moat around
Parks around the citadel











:-)
Menu!
:Meagan found an Indian restaurant and you should have seen the smile on my face when we got there. It was called Ganesha restaurant, had lots of idols, incense, music from the nineties and great, reasonably priced food. I ate like nobody's business and drank some mango juice and basically tricked my brain into thinking I was back home. That greediness did cause me some grief when we head back to the room.




We had a group meeting then, to get back into motion, since we start work tomorrow. This week will mostly be introductions and explanations. Our faculty adviser gets here tomorrow as well. This is it, this is the start of our field experience. Later folks!




No comments: