Thursday, May 29, 2014

Where I mime for a towel and forget what wearing shoes feels like

Miming is our primary method of communication here. My favorite one was enacting a towel in the aisle of a supermarket to a confused and possibly slightly embarrassed salesgirl. When the face towel gestures didn't do it, I pretended to take a bath and rub myself vigorously. She then figured it out and led me to the stack of towels. Which was great except the entire team was standing there and I am pretty sure she thought I was the biggest idiot ever.

***

It feels like my feet have forgotten how to wear shoes. I blame being encased in lined boots for months in the Minnesota winter. I have three pair of shoes and have almost gone through one whole roll of medical tape. At least thirty Band-Aids. I switched from shoes to slippers today and got blisters on my feet, because why not.

***

I have been told (not asked but told) at least six times between the time I left Minneapolis and got here that I am Indian. I have always known that I am Indian but I have not been reminded about it in this way. This  reminds me what a quintessentially Indian face I have. 


No comments: