Thursday, May 22, 2014

In Ho Chi Minh

It is 2.30 at night and I can't fall asleep. I landed in Ho Chi Minh after a journey that at 36 hours may be the longest time I have been in transit (in air). As always, it was very interesting. The flight from Chicago to Tokyo both had no in flight entertainment ( that baffled me a little) and was delayed. I made it to the Tokyo flight with perhaps 10 minutes to spare. I was prepared for the worst but am glad it didn't happen. I definitely ran at the airport and with that gave up on my vision of a suave worldly traveler. Instead I am the person whose suitcase falls, things fall out of my bag(s) and in all my flights I needed help to lift my carry on. I don't want to know how much it weighed seriously.

I stepped out of the flight and thought this air smells familiar even if I have never been here before. Everything went off smoothly and I was out in ten minutes. Meagan came to get me at the airport and it was great to see a familiar face among the sea of people and we haggled around till we found the least exorbitant taxi (you can't get the cheapest ones at the airport anymore). I just have one day here before we fly out to Hue and am looking forward to exploring the city. As the flight landed I could see a bustling city, full of lights and shop signs flashing in red, blue and green. We haven't fully planned the day yet but I hope to do as much as I can.

No comments: