Sunday, September 20, 2015

Millionth Move (Is Hopefully The Charm)

I have moved yet again. I am asking the universe to let this be the last move for a while. Everything aches, mainly because I am so out of shape and climbing the stairs a couple of times with boxes has undone all my muscles.

As I was leaving the last (filthy, full of roaches, Internet not working, laundry units not working but full of dirty water, elevators that stank and with no obvious heating vents) place, my flatmate said 'you didn't clean like we do'. I didn't care by that point. I also paid for utilities that I didn't use/that never worked and had told them within three days of moving in that this wouldn't work. I had spent the last few days skulking around because no interaction with them was positive (it wasn't always negative, we just didn't vibe). I was joking that I had to tranquilize myself to fall asleep - it wasn't that far from the truth. While moving out, the stolen Jewel Osco cart that usually sat outside the building was no longer there, which I hoped to use for my boxes. I saw what I thought was a general use dolley, which turned out to belong to this dude who clearly thought I was a wacko who stole his dolley. We still made polite conversation though he kind of rolled his eyes a lot (again, he was thinking I had stolen his dolley). He asked how was my stay was and I told him super shitty. While he moved his stuff in and I moved my stuff out, I told him all the ways in which the building was shitty. he wished me luck no loner rolling his eyes and I wished him luck. It was therapeutic. Except the part where it didn't occur to him once to offer to share his dolley, even while I struggled with some of my boxes. That was a little annoying but I know I had no right to expect it.

The whole damn day yesterday after moving in I kept wanting to cry because of how nice and kind and helpful and normal crazy in a similar wavelength way my new flatmate is. The house is spacious, the neighborhood full of families, I feel myself relax a little. I went to Target to stock on some food and basic household stuff. At night when I threw up from a combination of past stress and relief at being finally being clean and wearing washed clothes, I wasn't surprised. I had managed to do three rounds of laundry and cook in a roach-free kitchen. I couldn't believe it. Even when the Ikea bed I bought second-hand (for more than I could really afford) turned out to be a bust, I didn't have a breakdown. I powered through it. All six boxes are unpacked and five are ready to be out of the house soon. Food is in the kitchen shelves and all my devices know the wifi password. I hope to be here for a while. Here are some moving cartoons:





No comments: